Enginuity Leads National Occupational Standards (NOS) Review
Enginuity’s Technical Department is leading a series of review and development projects
Enginuity news, Industry news
- NOS Review (UK-Wide)
- NOS Development (UK-Wide)
- VQ Review (Scotland Only)
- Apprenticeship Framework Review (Northern Ireland Only)
- Review of Apprenticeships (Wales Only)
NOS Review (UK-Wide)
This work includes:
- Engineering Core Mandatory NOS (review)
- Engineering Technical Support NOS (review)
- Aeronautical Engineering NOS (review)
- Engineering Maintenance NOS
NOS set out the skills, knowledge and understanding required by employers to undertake a particular task or job role to a nationally recognised level of competence, helping formalise training requirements for employers and employees across the UK. They also form the basis of vocational qualifications including those used in Apprenticeship Frameworks.
As part of our philosophy of continuous improvement, Enginuity is now requesting feedback from relevant stakeholders to ascertain whether the current NOS are still fit for purpose and if not, what changes are required?
Key questions the NOS Review will seek to answer include:
- Are there any NOS that are irrelevant and can be removed?
- Are there any new work areas for which NOS need to be (developed and) added?
- Is the content of the NOS technically correct?
- Is it clear what must be completed to achieve the NOS?
- Can the specified outcomes in the NOS be achieved in the workplace?
NOS Development (UK-Wide)
We are seeking volunteers to contribute to the development of the new NOS in:
- Advanced Manufacturing NOS (new development)
- Non-Destructive Testing NOS (new development)
SVQ Review (Scotland Only)
This work includes:
- Fabrication & Welding at SCQF Levels 5 and 6
- Marine Engineering at SCQF Level 6
- Automotive Engineering at SCQF Level 6
- Materials Processing and Finishing at SCQF Level 6
Key questions the SVQ Review will seek to answer include:
- Are the current occupational pathways still accurate, and relevant?
- Are there any new occupational pathways which need to be added?
- Is the combination of mandatory accurate and appropriate or could it be improved?
Apprenticeship Framework Review (Northern Ireland Only)
We are reviewing the Automotive Pathway which is an important part of the Engineering Apprenticeship Framework.
Key questions the Review will seek to answer include:
- What Competence Based Qualification (CBQ e.g. NVQ) should be included?
- What Knowledge-Based Qualification (KBQ) should be included?
- What is the Occupational Profile (core Knowledge/Skills/ Behaviours & Transversal Skills) of those working in this area?
- What are typical Entry Requirements to this area of work?
- What level of Essential Skills (Literacy and Numeracy) is required of those working in this area?
- How long should a typical Apprentice take to complete the Framework?
- What are the progression opportunities (vocational/ academic) for those who successfully complete the Apprenticeship?
Review of Apprenticeships (Wales Only)
We are reviewing the following Welsh framework this year:
- Rail Infrastructure
To take part in any of these projects please email [email protected].
The Use of Technology in Learning – Webinar
The Use and Benefits of Technology in Learning Webinar – 7th June 2023