At Enginuity, we believe that apprenticeships are a highly-intensive training and qualification opportunity for individuals choosing to advance in their career.
The opportunity to attain industry-standard knowledge and relevant skills within a recognised framework is of interest to people working on all levels, especially with the backing of employers.
Apprenticeships combine practical training in a job with study.
As an apprentice you’ll:
• work alongside experienced staff
• gain job-specific skills
• earn a wage and get holiday pay
• get time for study related to your role (usually one day a week)
Apprenticeships take 1 to 5 years to complete depending on their level.
Some of the most diverse and exciting careers on the planet can be found in engineering. From designing the latest jet plane to developing clean energy solutions, engineers are at the very forefront of innovation.
Choosing an apprenticeship to kick start your career in the engineering and advanced manufacturing industry is the first step to joining an exciting and dynamic world where the opportunities are limitless.
Most employers are now aware of the significant business benefits apprentices can deliver – increased productivity, improved competitiveness, helping to build a flexible, motivated, loyal workforce and securing the future talent pipeline – but some, particularly SMEs, are put off by the perceived level of hassle.
While it’s true that deciphering funding eligibility and getting to grips with the skills landscape can be challenging, our position within the sector means we are uniquely placed to:
- Identify sector skills needs through our world-class research capabilities
- Influence the policy landscape in a way that benefits employers of all sizes
- Understand complex business needs and tailor programmes accordingly
One of Enginuity’s expert team of Apprenticeship Advisers can come and visit your business, or simply talk over the phone to assess how we can support and advise you.
Enginuity develops the engineering and advanced manufacturing apprenticeship framework library in England, Wales and Scotland and issues apprenticeship frameworks in these sectors in England and Wales.
The apprenticeship levy is a tax which all UK employers with an annual pay bill over £3 million have to pay. It is intended to cover the training costs of an apprenticeship.
The levy is set at 0.5% of an employer’s payroll, with a £15,000 allowance to offset the overall cost.
These are huge changes and may seem daunting, Enginuity can support you every step of the way. Our experts can help you to get the best return on your levy investment by:
• Providing information, advice and guidance
• Delivering tailor-made consultancy
• Creating high-quality apprenticeships
• Turning your apprentices into valuable business assets
• Providing an end-to-end managed service
Enginuity has unrivalled sector experience and expertise. This means we are uniquely placed to share best practice from our knowledge of apprenticeship standards across the sector, make sure employers’ voices are heard when responding to government enquiries and act as the collective voice of engineering employers.
Changes for employers who don’t pay the levy – Support with apprenticeship costs.
Non-levy paying employers will share the cost of training and assessing their apprentices with government – this is called ‘co-investment’.
The co-investment rate has changed for new apprenticeships starting on or after 1 April 2019. Employers will now pay 5% towards the cost of apprenticeship training. The government will pay the rest (95%) up to the funding band maximum.
All apprenticeships that started before 1 April 2019 will continue at the previous co-investment rate of 10%.
Apprenticeship Levy FAQs
Enginuity has unrivalled knowledge of engineering and manufacturing apprenticeships.
Our Customer Experience Team can help you understanding how the Apprenticeship Levy can positively impact your business.
Combines a job with learning so you can earn a wage while developing your skills.
Navigate the wide range of opportunities available to gain the experience and training you need to succeed in engineering. Work experience, traineeships, apprenticeships, higher degree apprenticeships, graduate opportunities, National Retraining Scheme, high quality training resources or engineering job opportunities – discover the path that’s right for you.
Work experience gives you the opportunity to see what these industries are really like to work in. It also demonstrates your proactivity, drive and determination to future employers.